Friday, March 28, 2008

Favorite Childhood Books



I'm so excited to have found a few of my favorite books from when I was a child. I "won" 2 auctions on ebay just this morning. My 2 old-new books should be in my hands by next week. I got "Who's a Pest" for 99 cents! "Seeds and More Seeds" for $6. When I was very young, I was never sure if the kid in "Seeds" was a boy or a girl. It really bothered me. He/She wore a loose sailor-style blouse and hat. Well, from the synopsis I have just read - he's a him! Ok, one mystery solved. "Who's a Pest?" is about a little boy named Homer (I think) whose older sisters, Holly, Molly, Lolly, Dolly and Polly are always annoyed by him. But, of course, he's just misunderstood. I believe that one by one they fall into a hole in the woods and only Homer can save them!

I am also looking for "Hildy and the Cuckoo Clock". This was a story about a little girl who moves into a new house where she finds a mysterious cuckoo clock. At certain times of the day, the clock will grant her wishes. At one point she wishes that the fountains in school will run with root beer. To the delight of the boys, just as she verbalizes her wish, the recess teacher calls for "Quiet!", and all that comes out of Hildy's mouth is "...beer". Other wishes are a bubble bath filling the house, little glass animals coming to life and something about a swinging front gate. There is also a spooky secondary story about the ghost of a little boy living in the house. So, this book is out of print and considered quite rare. I can't find a good copy for less than $250.00, which is too much of a splurge for me. I wish I knew what happened to my copy!

No comments: